Friday, February 8, 2008

The New York Shows


I've enjoyed fashion week this year, but I must admit, I feel that most collections have lacked the coherence I yearn for. Typical favorites -- Phillip Lim, Brian Reyes -- had standout pieces but there were also bits I would consider downright unattractive and that's unusual. Here are a few designers I feel shined:
Proenza Schouler -- colorful, creative, coherent -- an overall beautiful collection
Jeremy Laing -- not sure if he showed in New York, but I've seen the looks from the collection online and it was great; lots of color blocks, greys, silks and even a bit of shimmer
Alexander Herchovitch -- the dress with cut-out shoulders killed me! Amazing.
Shipley and Halmos -- the beauty of a small collection (14 looks) is that you cut out all of the flab. Everything was perfect in this collection -- particularly the yellow sheath
Rodnik -- inventive and fun
Rodarte -- never my favorite aesthetically, but I appreciate their creativity
Alexander Wang -- more of the same, but I would wear every piece
BOY by Band of Outsiders -- ditto

No comments: