Monday, February 25, 2008

The Red Carpet is Too Safe


Remember the days when Cher wore sparkling Bob Mackie jumpsuits to the Oscars? Yeah, me neither. But it's been documented, and I swear, I'd rather see an atrocity like that then the boring dresses we've seen on the red carpet these last few years. Now that everyone has a stylist, there's less room for screw-ups. I usually love whatever Maggie Gyllenhaal or Kirsten Dunst wear, but both were absent.

There was lots of navy, lots of red and lots of strapless or one-shoulder numbers. My favorites? Rosamund Pike in a lemon yellow Roland Mouret (shown), Julie Christie because she looked classy without looking dowdy and Diablo Cody because she looked ridiculous in leopard print. Hats off to the few who added a little flare to the carpet this year.

No comments: