Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Textiles 2008

Will we finally say so long to buffalo check? I'm still a fan but I have a hunch the popular print is on its last legs. Here's what I'm suspecting will become -- or remain -- popular for 2008.

Chevron. Jane Mayle made a very lovely scarf from chevron and Grace from Design Sponge has been searching for the perfect chevron carpet for ages now. I'd certainly be inclined to sport a chevron sweater with a sexy pencil skirt.

Plaid. Classic plaids are still going strong. I've already bought enough plaid shirts to last more than a few years, so now I'm turning to the ultimate check statement: a plaid kilt! I think one will look gorgeous with menswear-inspired oxfords and a loose, grungy t-shirt.

Silk. I've notices silk dress in the stores for Spring, and I like it. The velvety, muddled, fabric lets you wear jewel tones without the impact.

Textiles to stay away from?

Solid satin. Sure it's pretty for the holidays, but satin is a pain to care for. I have a mod mini dress made from brown satin that would get quite a bit more play in my wardrobe rotation if it wasn't so wrinkly.

Linen. Linen blends work, but unless you want to look like a wrinkled mess during hot and sweaty summer days, stay away from the 100% stuff. And please, boys, stay away from linen altogether. Unless you also favor Hawaiian shirts. This means you are beyond help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog butI must disagree! I think men can pull off a linen suit - think Peter Beard on safari or the male character in Duras' novel the Lover.

Lauren said...

Hmm, on safari, maybe, but I would be shocked if those suits were not a linen blend!