Monday, January 14, 2008

Winter Style Secrets

It's the dead-of-winter here in New York. Accept that it's really not. We've had few days of snow, and even fewer days of below-freezing temperatures. And even though I was freezing my butt off on New Year's Eve because of sort-of cold climes, I've yet to buy a ultra-heavy winter coat. (Don't ask my boyfriend about this -- let's just say that the sight of me running down Smith Street in Carroll Gardens wearing both his and my overcoat was not pretty).

There are, however, a few sacrifices you must make for dropping temperatures -- even when they haven't dropped that far. Here are the winter essentials that keep me looking mildly attractive:

Colored Tights. Solid black is a given -- colored tights add an off-kilter element to any outfit without going overboard. I love purple especially.
Flat, black boots. Brown if you tend to wear a lot of denim and more neutral colors.
Convertible fingerless gloves. I got mine at Muji years ago -- they make grabbing for cash and keys--without having to remove your gloves--easy.
A knit beret. I am fully aware that these can look silly. But I have big hair -- and big head. My beret is warm, comfy and doesn't mess up my hair.
Smith's Rosebud Salve. Nothing keeps my lips from flaking better than this stuff.

No comments: