Thursday, October 25, 2007

Treats From San Francisco

Hello, friends! I'm glad to be back. After spending about 10 days in California, I've returned with new inspiration, and a slew of new ideas, places and products I want to share with you.

During my four days in the Bay Area, I spent most of my time concentrating on product design and theory at a conference in Nob Hill held by the the Industrial Design Society of America, but I managed to take a couple of hours on Saturday to scope out some smaller neighborhoods -- my favorite way to investigate a new city.

I ended up in the Mission district by recommendation of my undeniably hip friend Pamela. She spoke of two spots -- one a bakery and another a cheap-but-worthwhile vintage shop -- Tartine and The Painted Bird.

Of course, Pam's choices were right on the mark. Tartine's macaroon, scented with orange, was moist and just enough to fulfill my sweet tooth. (OK, I had a hot chocolate too, and I promise it was better than City Bakery!) Up the street at The Painted Bird, I was dumbfounded by the truly good deals. The pieces weren't just inexpensive -- there were spot-on trend wise. I scored a pair of black booties, something I've been seeking out for the past few years, for $18 bucks. There was no compromise with these boots -- they were exactly what I've been looking for.

What I loved most about the Mission was that, unlike some parts of New York or London, nothing was forced about the local style. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

No comments: