Thursday, August 16, 2007

My Idea of Paris

Recently, my friend Emme and I spent a lazy Sunday taking in Zoe Cassavetes's Broken English, an "indie movie with Hollywood sensibilities," as the always-informative IMDB puts it.
Starring one of my favorites, Parker Posey, the film is essentially a look at a 30-something's New York love life (without the Carrie Bradshaw cosmos).

Of course, Posey's performance was spot-on (as was Drea de Matteo's as her best friend) and the wardrobe was great -- lots of Jane Mayle -- but what I really loved was when the two girls ventured to Paris to find Posey's current flame.

Next time I'm in Paris, I'm taking lots of cash for shopping in the markets, but I'm also planning on staying at Hotel Particulier, a five-suite mansion in Montmartre in the 18th arrondissement.
Each room was designed by a different artist, so there's no real fluidity to the space.

But I don't think that's a negative. When I stay, I'm aiming for The Tree With Ears suite, designed by Pierre Fichefeux, an illustrator and art director who resides in Amsterdam. The wallpaper is rich in color and texture, but the room's extraordinary light adds a fresh feeling to the spot.

No comments: