Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Because Most Handbags Cost More Than Routine Dental Work...



Two friends made the same comment to me today: why does pair of shoes -- priced at $500 three years ago -- currently sell for $1,000, and a handbag -- once marked at $900 -- boast a price tag that reads $1900?

One of the glossies (I believe Vogue) ran an excellent article on the skyrocketing cost of high fashion in last September's issue, so I won't go into incredible detail. To sum it up, you -- and my friends -- are not imagining things. Prices are climbing and our paychecks aren't climbing with them.

Fortunately, there are designers like 3.1 Phillip Lim and Nili Lotan to keep us clothed -- even if it's only at sample sale time -- but when it comes to bags, there are very few I truly love that ring in at less than $1,000.

Enter Coach. Anyone that knows me is aware of my disdain for monograms, so suffice it to say Coach hasn't been one of my go-to lines this past decade.

But Creative Director Reed Krakoff, genius that he is, has changed that, re-introducing the Bonnie Cashin classics that made the brand so famous in the 1960s and '70s. I've been searching for a navy blue envelope bag for fall and this City Bag, originally released in the 1980s, is essentially perfect. At $278, it's affordable, too.

Let's put it this way: I'm a changed woman. Despite those unsightly bags covered in Cs (the fact that they don't stand for Chanel makes them even worse), I wish Krakoff and his soaring stock all the best, and plan on contributing frequently to its success, even when I can easily afford a $1,000 bag.

No comments: